Friday, December 12, 2008

Trust me

Going to the 24-hour Walmart at 11pm may seem like a good idea at the time.

You probably know this already, but: it's not.

Beat the crowds? I saw a woman entering the store attached to a tank of oxygen. Not to mention the 75 extra staff they seem to have working the overnight shift, most of whom are blocking the aisles as they unpack more and more product.

Sure, I got the gifts I was looking for and a few stocking stuffers, but I didn't feel any sense of Christmas glee. Or even a brief sensation of freedom, coasting down the aisles with only my Kate Spade bag to keep me company.

It was just kind of pathetic.

But tomorrow is the day. After a week in progress, we will finally finish trimming the tree and putting up the decorations. And then I won't have to go searching for some elusive spirit of Christmas because it will be right here.

No comments: