Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Shhhh! And Hallelujah!

I backed myself into a corner today. The delivery people called to find out a good time to come by with our new vanity and cabinet (now, that's service. Don't they usually call and tell me a 10 hour window or something? Yay Rona!) and I told them "anytime this afternoon is fine."

Forgetting, I guess, that every time I try to just put Will down for a nap it ends in tears for both of us and me driving out for a shot of tequila (okay, a skinny cinnamon dolce latte, but still). In short, she is either strolled or lately, with the cold, driven around until she falls asleep. I can transfer her out of her coat and into her crib without a problem, so the epic battle of wills has not been worth the trouble.

Until today. I realized that I could not take her out for a drive as the delivery truck could come at any time. So after changing her diaper, I told her it was time to put on some comfy pants, read a few books and then have a snooze.

She's asleep.

It took forty-five minutes, and a couple of transfers between the rocking chair and the crib. And then suddenly, she was letting me rub her back, and a few minutes later she was asleep.

Now I just have to decide if I should let the delivery people take the vanity upstairs, if she happens to still be sleeping when they arrive.

I have to say, the victories are just as sweet as the failures are demoralizing. But I'd better get some lunch in case this only lasts 20 minutes.

* * * * * * * * * *

Edited to add: 35 minutes. I'm a little disappointed. I had it in my head that if she fell asleep in the crib she would sleep a lot longer. Sigh.

No comments: