Friday, December 19, 2008

Snowblower etiquette?

It's 9:15 pm and there is a strange man snow-blowing our driveway.

Or maybe he's not a strange man. He could be our next door neighbour, or someone hired by our other "eccentric" next door neighbour, since I know he started there first. But I'm afraid that he will catch me peeking out the window. If I notice what he's doing (or he sees me noticing), isn't there some rule that says I should go out and thank him? Or chip in with a shovel?

After 25 centimetres of snow, I'm not complaining. I am very grateful that tomorrow morning will not be spent digging ourselves out. But is this normal neighbour behaviour? I just assumed that everyone minded his or her own business, shovelled his own walk, picked up her own prunings.

Maybe that's just me? Have we moved to an actual community? And are we supposed to be reciprocating somehow?

No comments: