Monday, September 22, 2008

Of bad dreams and restless nights (following restful nights, which makes it worse)

I don't know what was up with Will last night. She hasn't been what anyone would call "a good sleeper" since she was about 5 months old, but she really has been doing better since we moved into the house. Even this weekend when her routine was thrown totally off, she actually slept through the night Friday - without a wakeup, a very rare occasion in this family - from midnight until 6 am, and then into our bed until 8! Yesterday she had a fairly normal day, albeit with a short nap, but her bedtime routine went on as usual.

I think she lasted an hour before the first awakening. And they were screaming, bolt upright from a nightmare wakeups. We tried rubbing her back, Advil, snuggling. She even freaked out when I walked across the room to turn her music back on! She always went back to sleep, but would wake up terrified another 40 or so minutes later.

Finally when I was ready for bed, I asked her if she wanted to snuggle with Mama and she pointed at the guest room where we sometimes sleep. And then sweetly waved goodnight to Daddy.

It really seemed like bad dreams to me. She kept herself pressed against me as close as possible in the night, even when she was fast asleep. I even had to take her with me to the bathroom!

Or maybe her mind is just processing so much she just couldn't shut down her thoughts last night.

Let's hope she has a more restful night tonight.

No comments: