Monday, April 6, 2009

A meme for a crazy day

I just emailed my husband because I can't figure out if the dishes in the dishwasher are clean or dirty. They seem clean, but what if they're not? It turns my stomach like the time my roommate cooked her taco meat in a dirty pan instead of washing it. I can't even think about it.

Then I tried to catch up on some back episodes of "Private Practice" on my DVR, but I'm annoyed at their attempt to educate the world about HPV. (Men can get it, and it can lead to throat cancer! If you have oral sex! So get your daughters immunized!) But who knows, maybe they will end up sending the message that both boys and girls should be immunized. Which is just part of my own complicated opinion on the whole HPV vaccine issue.

But then I came across this meme from DaniGirl and decided to give it a try.

15 years ago today I would have been:
  • packing up to move home while finishing my first year of university in Montreal. My dad and a couple of my siblings literally packed up everything except my computer and my chair, and I completed my final paper in my otherwise empty room the night before heading home
10 years ago today I would have been:
  • packing up to move to Kingston after finishing my final year in Montreal. I had stayed in the city to do my Masters degree in English lit, and by April 1999 I had completed all my coursework, passed my comprehensive exams and been given a borderline pass in my final attempt at the French language requirement
  • it was also the start of the first summer in 10 years that I would not be working at the CNE. After being screwed out of my usual overtime pay the summer before, I made good on my promise never to work there again. Instead I moved in with my boyfriend (now husband) in Kingston, worked for the local labour council to plan the annual Labour Day picnic and wore a black cape around the city while leading tours for the Haunted Walk.
5 years ago today I would have been:
  • a newlywed living in Troy, New York, underemployed and teaching a couple of composition classes at a local community college, and spending time with my first (feline) baby, Pasha
1 year ago today I would have been:
  • planning my (human) baby's first birthday party
  • deciding not to apply for a teaching position with the local school board for at least a year
  • buying our first house, although we wouldn't be closing until July
This year I am:
  • surprised that I'm still (mostly) enjoying my role SAHM, with no plans to change in the foreseeable future
Today I:
  • took Will to an early morning doctor's appointment (just a winter rash, with a suggestion to use vinegar as fabric softener?)
  • took Will out for a coffee shop breakfast, to the butterfly conservatory and to the mall for lunch
  • am annoyed that I had to hear about the birth of my new niece via my brother's girlfriend on facebook - grrrrr!
  • am waiting to hear how my dad's surgery is going
  • wow, it's been a busy day
Next year I hope:
  • my daughter finally figures out how to sleep through the night on her own
  • I can figure out where I want to go next with my career, family, etc.
In five years I hope:
  • I can't even begin to think that far ahead. So many possibilities in terms of career and location and family . . . but I do hope everyone I love is healthy and happy. (Sappy, but true.)

No comments: